Review of “Mr. Bean’s Holiday” (2007) G 90min
December 6th, 2007 by Maxim · 2 Comments · 3,847 Views
The plot: Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) wins a trip to France in his church’s ruffle. On the way from Paris to Cannes he manages to miss his train, separate Russian boy Stepan (Max Baldry) from his father, film director Emil Dachevsky (Karel Roden) who was also heading to Cannes, get a part in the yogurt commercial directed by Carson Clay (Willem Dafoe), get fired within 5 minutes, meet The Girl, Sabine (Emma de Caunes), and sabotage the Cannes Film Festival.
Well, it’s the same old character, low-IQ and good-natured. In the first half of the movie mostly same old jokes repeated again when Mr. Bean played with food etc or tried to entertain the kid. Little innovation. As usual, Mr. Bean doesn’t say much and behaves like a cartoon character. Lots of jokes were based on the language barrier between the three: the French actress, the English Mr. Bean the Russian boy.
It’s a well-natured physical and situational comedy that will make you feel warm and fuzzy.
The money begging scene was classic. The joke with Mr. Bean trying to hitch a ride with a villager on the motorbike and then being stuck in the toilet was hilarious.
The ending was a little cheesy, but maybe fools really do walk on water.
- As silly as all Mr. Bean movies have been since the 90s, if this was the last “Señor Frijoles” movie I would really miss this character.
- Stepan, Russian kid (Max Baldry) was cute. So was Emma de Caunes – she reminded me of Colette from Ratatouille.
- It seems like the whole world is going to Cannes in summer.
- France is beautiful: the cities and the landscapes.
- Those Euro-Trains are really nice – very comfortable and fast.
Directed by Steve Bendelack. Written by Robin Driscol, Rowan Atkinson, Hamish McColl, Simon McBurney.
The DVD contains:
- lots of deleted scenes. Most of them was worth deleting, but some were funny.
- a short documentary about making the movie
See also: The Complete Mr. Bean Set
If you liked this post, buy me a beer
actress | based on sketch comedy | based on TV series | Bus | bycicle | Cannes | Cannes film festival | cellular phone | chicken | child | church | Emma de Caunes | France | hitchhiking | kids and family | movie premiere | mr Bean | oyster | Paris | raffle | road trip | Rowan Atkinson | sea food | sequal | suicide | tank | taxicab | theatre | train | Willem Dafoe