Movies to see this weekend (December 07, 2007)
December 7th, 2007 by Maxim · No Comments · 3,049 Views
Opening in theatres:
- The Golden Compass (2007) – Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Sam Elliott, and Ian McShane star in a movie based on Philip Pullman’s novel, an exciting fantasy adventure set in an alternate world where people’s souls manifest themselves as animals. An organization known as Gobblers kidnapped a child, and 12-year-old girl Lyra (Dakota Blue Richards) is at the center of the story trying to rescue her friend, and ends up saving both her and our world.
- Atonement (2007) – James McAvoy, Keira Knightley star in this war drama with love triangle about a writer who, when she was 13-year old girl accused a man of a crime he did not commit and about a way she found to atonement.
- Grace Is Gone (2007) – yet another Iraq-themed movie about a father who’s wife-soldier was killed in action and rather then telling his daughters the truth he takes them on the road trip to amusement park
- Juno (2007) – comedy about teenage pregnancy from creators of “Knocked Up” and “Superbad”.
- Revolver (2007) – gangster drama/comedy/action about a hotshot professional gambler from Las Vegas who was so successful and won so much money that he hired his own brother as an accountant, but one day managed to beat a crime boss in a card game and insult him. The mobster set a hit on him.
- The Amateurs (2007) – comedy about friends find an ingenious way to make their dreams come true: to rally their small town to produce an amateur adult film! They think they’ve found the road to fame and fortune, but their fantasy quickly turns into a hilarious misadventure as they encounter more than a few bumps in the road. Their good natured attempts lead to the creation of the most un-adult, adult film ever.
- The Walker (2007) – Dramatic story about a fifty year old man who hires himself out as an escort to high society ladies in Washington D.C. He also happens to have a boyfriend on the side.
New on DVD:
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – the final installment of the trilogy. Jack Sparrow (Jonny Depp) is back!
- Tom and Jerry: Volume 3 – 15 episodes of a classical animated series
- Superbad (2007) – an excellent teenage comedy from creators “of 40-year old Virgin”. Read Maxim’s review.
- Secrets of Egypt’s Lost Queen (2007) – documentary about life of Egyptian queen Hatshepsut who seased the throne dressed as a man
- The Kid (1950) - a DVD release of Hong Kong action movie starring 10 year old Bruce Lee.
If you liked this post, buy me a beer · ·
new DVD releases | new movies | new on DVD | opening in theatres