Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) PG 94min
July 6th, 2009 by Maxim · No Comments · 25,279 Views
This is the third installment of the “Ice Age” animated trilogy from 20th Century Fox Studios.
The plot: After mammoth Manny (Ray Romano) met Ellie (Queen Latifah) in “Ice Age: The Meltdown”, the previous episode, the couple now expects their first baby-mammoth. Manny is anxious to make sure for the arrival of the baby. Saber-tooth tiger Diego (Denis Leary) is tempted to leave the pack, and sloth Sid (John Leguizamo) also decides to form a family, and steals some dinosaur eggs. Sid hides them in the under-ground world he accidentally discovered, but the mother-dinosaur wants her eggs back, and “the herd” has to rescue Sid. While dodging other dinosaurus-predators, “the pack” meats a dinosaur-hunter — one-eyed weasel known as Buck, who becomes their guide.
1. Many laugh-outloud moments, mostly thanks to the new Scrat’s adventures.
2. Some dialogs and jokes were for adults only. For example, Manny’s “I thought you are the one with hormonal dis-balance” was rather off-putting. Milking of the bull joke is so old it’s not funny anymore.
3. The movie has a lot of heart, but the first movie had more. All baby-animals are adorable. Even the scary dinosaurs are not particularly scary and deserve compassion – they are so unlucky to be predators, but with a little understanding they too deserve a place on the planet
4. A whole different world, a tropical paradise - under ice? I think it’s the only way to explain the presence of dinosaurs, because they were extinct a long time before mammoth walked the Earth
5. Kids, even very little ones, I mean 3-4 year-olds, also laughed and followed the movie up until Buck character was introduced.
6. Buck was so weird he felt so out-of-place. It seemed like he was from a completely different movie, and so were a few pop-culture references and jokes, such as parody of “red-wire or blue-wire” time-bomb scenario.
7. Buck (voiced by Simon Pegg) didn’t look like a weasel. He was more like a upright-walking hyena that behaves like a pirate.
8. Nobody ever gets seriously hurt – they bounce back (just like little kids), and nobody gets eaten – even if they are swallowed they are immediately regurgitated.
9. The animation is not exactly state-of-the-art, but it’s good and lively, just like in the previous two movies.
10. Song choice was not that great. The first movie had the best songs.
It’s a very pleasant and entertaining film. Scrat is the best!
Manny: [From Trailer] “After we rescue Sid, I’m going to kill him.”
Sid: [from trailer] “I’m too young to be eaten!”
Crash: Dude, You’re awesome! You’re like the brother I never had!
The cast: Manny - Ray Romano | Ellie - Queen Latifah | Diego - Dennis Leary | Sid - John Leguizamo | Eddie - Josh Peck | Crash - Seann William Scott | Scrat - Chris Wedge | Scratte - Karen Disher | Buck – Simon Pegg
The crew: Director – Carlos Saldanha & Mike Thurmeier | Producers – John C. Donkin, Lori Forte | Original music – John Powell | Art Direction – Mike Knapp | 20th Century Fox Studios | Blue Sky Studios
If you liked this post, buy me a beer
Carlos Saldanha | Dennis Leary | dinosaur | Ice Age | John Leguizamo | Josh Peck | mammoth | Mike Thurmeier | prehistoric | Queen Latifah | Ray Romano | Sabertooth Tiger | Seann William Scott | sequel | Simon Pegg | Third Part